Like any appliance, household steam boilers, oil boilers, and gas boilers can develop of a variety of problems that can keep them from working correctly. When you’re having boiler problems, you may notice insufficient heating, failure to start up, rapid on/off cycling, loud noises, or other various problems. Most problems with steam boilers, oil boilers, and gas boilers can be repaired by an experienced, trained HVAC contractor, who knows how to accurately diagnose and fix these problems. Different types of boilers, although roughly equal in their central heating ability, are prone to different problems depending on whether they run on hot steam, gas, or oil. If you notice problems with your boiler system, call us any time at Elta HVAC for fast, friendly New Jersey boiler repair service.
Common Steam Boiler Problems
Steam boilers channel hot water, vaporized into steam, through a network of metal pipes to heat your home. The steam boiler itself, as well as its pipes, are likely to occasionally develop any of several problems that generally require professional boiler repair service. Some of the most common issues with steam boilers include:
- Water leaking from the steam boiler tank. If you notice water pooling around the base of your steam boiler, it probably has a water leak. Unfortunately, this can be a sign of tank corrosion, a problem that might mean you’ll need to replace your boiler. In older boilers, exposure to water and sediment over time can eat away at the metal tank, creating holes and cracks that allow water to drip out and escape. The water can damage surrounding areas, and leaks can compromise the water pressure and steam pressure inside.
- Water leaking from steam boiler pipes. Steam pipes are also known to occasionally develop water leaks. This often stems from either cracks or holes in sections of pipe, or from loose joints between pipe segments.
- Sediment buildup inside of the tank. Over time, trace mineral and sediment deposits in water, especially in areas with hard water, can build up at the bottom of the tank, affecting water pressure and heating efficiency.
- Noisy steam pipes. Noisy steam pipes can have multiple causes, but it often results from kinks or sagging in areas of pipe, which allows water to condense and pool, blocking the movement of steam. This can be fixed by a boiler repair company.
Common Gas Boiler Repairs
Many home boilers rely on natural gas as an energy source. Like oil boilers and steam boilers, gas boilers can develop several unique problems that can effect their efficiency and heating effectiveness. Some common gas boiler issues that our HVAC contractors see often include:
- Radiators won’t heat up. If your radiators don’t seem to be producing any heat, call a professional boiler repair service. Their technicians will be able to tell whether it’s a gas boiler problem or a radiator problem, and perform the appropriate repairs.
- Faulty ignition or pilot light. If the ignition or pilot light isn’t working, your gas boiler won’t start up. This is a safety measure to prevent a natural gas leak. Many hot plate ignition systems will only last around two years before they’ll need to be replaced by a boiler repair company.
- Rapid cycling. Rapid cycling could mean a problem with the wiring or internal mechanical components of your gas boiler, but could also mean your boiler is too large for your home’s capacity needs.
- Gas leaks. If you smell natural gas, ventilate the area and turn off the gas immediately. Natural gas is highly flammable and can cause an explosion, as well as containing toxic carbon monoxide gas. To stay safe, households with gas boilers should have carbon monoxide detectors installed.
Common Oil Boiler Problems
Oil boilers can also require occasional boiler repairs for ignition systems, oil leaks, and other problems.
- Oil leaks. Occasionally, small amounts of oil can begin leaking out from you oil-fired boiler. Unlike natural gas, this oil isn’t particularly hazardous in and of itself, although it should still be cleaned up carefully to prevent staining.
- Cracked heat exchangers. A cracked heat exchanger can cause CO emissions to move into your home’s air supply, rather than ventilating safely away. For this reason, oil boiler problems should be handled cautiously, by calling a boiler repair company as soon as possible.
To find out more about boiler repair in New Jersey, including 24 hour emergency service for gas boilers, steam boilers, and oil boilers, call us any time at Elta HVAC, at 201-430-2420.
Find Out More About Boiler Repair in New Jersey:
Looking for fast reliable 24-hour boiler repair service in New Jersey Call us today at Elta HVAC for
Looking for fast effective repairs for your steam boiler pipes banging noise Call us 24 7 at Elta HVAC
Need a new steam boiler At Elta HVAC we provide industry-leading steam boiler installation and replacement service in
Steam boilers are reliant on a system of pipes which provide a passageway for the steam in order
Steam boilers which use water steam propelled through pipes as a method of heating a home or building
Looking for steam boiler service in New Jersey At Elta we provide 24 hour steam boiler repair for