Many New Jersey homes and businesses use a boiler system to provide a reliable source of central heating during the winter. Like any heating system, your boiler can eventually develop many types of problems, usually as a result of ongoing wear and tear from regular use. At Elta HVAC, we provide comprehensive boiler services, including steam boiler repair, gas boiler repair, steam boiler repair, and boiler replacement. To find out more, call us today to talk to one of our experienced HVAC service contractors.
Common Boiler Problems
So, how can you tell if you need boiler repair or boiler replacement service? When something’s wrong with the boiler, some of the common problems that homeowners notice can include:
- No heat, or not enough heat
- Water leaking from the boiler tank or steam pipes
- Loud knocking, banging, or rattling noises from the pipes
- Frozen condensate pipes
- Rapid on/off cycling
These issues can apply to a steam boiler, oil boiler, or gas boiler. All kinds of boilers, from various manufacturers like Weil-McLain, US Boiler Company, Lattner, and others, can occasionally develop these issues.
Noisy steam pipes (in a steam boiler) and insufficient heating are probably the most common issues that our boiler repair contractors encounter. These problems are usually straightforward, and can be quickly diagnosed and fixed by an experienced HVAC technician. For example, with a steam boiler, noisy pipes are often caused by a kink in the pipes, high steam pressure, or poor insulation. These can all be repaired by a professional.
When Should You Consider Boiler Replacement?
However, in some cases, the old boiler simply isn’t worth repairing. Either it has damage that literally cannot be repaired, or the repair costs will outweigh the benefit of simply getting a new one. In these cases, boiler replacement is actually the most sensible option. Our boiler repair contractors will inspect and diagnose the problem, and can advise you on the best choice for your situation.
You may need boiler replacement if:
- Your boiler is more than 15 years old. As your boiler ages, it wears down, loses energy efficiency, and requires repairs more frequently. Boiler replacement could be worth it for the fuel savings, especially with a gas boiler or oil boiler.
- Your boiler seems to need repairs all the time. If your old boiler is constantly breaking down, you may want to talk to an HVAC company about your replacement options. Although a new boiler can be a significant investment, it may outweigh the cost of constant boiler repairs. An HVAC contractor will be able to discuss your options with you, so that you can choose a new boiler that best meets your heating needs.
- Tank corrosion. Like any metal object exposed to water and steam over a long period of time, your steam boiler tank can rust and corrode. At that point, it’s probably time to replace it.
If your boiler isn’t heating your home, or your steam pipes are making a racket, call us today at Elta HVAC for fast, reliable boiler repair service in New Jersey, at 201-430-2420.